Content Map Terms

Dietitian Services at HealthLink BC

Download PDF

HealthLink BC’s registered dietitians offer telephone, email and web-based based food and nutrition services to support the information, education and counselling needs of B.C. residents and health professionals.

When can I contact a registered dietitian?

Whether you live in greater Vancouver, northern B.C., the interior, on the island, or anywhere else in British Columbia, we are here to help. Our registered dietitians are available to all residents of British Columbia Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm Pacific Time.

How do I contact a registered dietitian?

For information and advice related to healthy eating and nutrition you can call us, email us, or search for information on our website.

If you are unable to reach us by dialing 8-1-1 from your phone, please contact your telephone service provider to arrange access. In a few cases local telephone service provider may not be able to support 8-1-1 dialing. If this is the case for you, please access our service using our 10-digit number: 604-215-8110.

What programs and services do HealthLink BC’s registered dietitians provide?

We offer a variety of programs and services designed to help residents of British Columbia make healthy eating and nutrition choices. Referrals are not required to access our services. Health care providers can refer their clients to our programs and services if needed.

Eating and Activity Program for Kids

A program specifically designed to help children, teens and their families reach healthy weights and improve their overall health and quality of life. To learn more about the program or to request a referral form, call 8-1-1 or click on the link below.

Pediatric Nutrition Service

A service to support parents, caregivers, children and health professionals manage nutrition issues such as picky eating and feeding problems; failure to thrive; vitamin and mineral supplementation; and nutrition concerns among children with special health needs. Health care providers can request a referral form. Please call 8-1-1 and ask for the pediatric nutrition service.

Oncology Nutrition Service

A service to support the nutrition needs of people living with cancer before, during and after cancer treatment.

Allergy Nutrition Service

A service to support the nutrition needs of infants, children and adults with food allergy. Advanced practice consultation is offered to health professionals seeking to serve the nutrition needs of clients with food allergy in their community. Health care providers can request a referral form. Please call 8-1-1 and ask for the allergy nutrition service.

Provincial Food Policy Service

A service that provides nutrition and food science expertise and consultation to the food and food services industries, health professionals and the public. Key areas of work include supporting the implementation of provincial food regulations, policies and best practices related to a healthier food supply and to healthy eating promotion.

Resource Management

A service to support clients through the development of evidence-informed food and nutrition guidelines and resources. Resource management also supports health professionals through the creation, translation and distribution of food and nutrition evidence to guide individual and professional practice.

What other services does HealthLink BC provide?

Visit the following pages to learn more about our other service areas:

How do I get service in another language?

After dialing 8-1-1, you will be connected with an English speaking health service navigator. To get service in another language, simply state the language you are looking for (example say “Punjabi”), and an interpreter will join the call.

Translation services are available in over 130 languages.

Can you provide health information or advice by email?

You can Email a HealthLinkBC Dietitian your non-emergency food and nutrition questions.

Please note that this service is for general nutrition and food information. Email a HealthLinkBC Dietitian does not provide medical advice.

Can I use an internet calling service provider to call HealthLink BC?

Yes. However, you cannot access 8-1-1 by dialing 8-1-1 on web-enabled telephone services such as Skype or Google Talk. Instead, please dial 604-215-8110.

Last Reviewed: November 2017