For general information regarding applicable disclaimers and privacy for B.C. Provincial Government websites, please consult the following links:
- British Columbia Government standard copyright, disclaimer and privacy statements.
- Personal information, being collected on this website is done so in order to provide health information, referral and navigation services. Personal information is collected under section 26(c) and (e) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Personal information will only be used by authorized staff to fulfill the purpose for which it was originally collected or for a use consistent with that purpose unless you expressly consent otherwise. We do not disclose your information to other public bodies or individuals except as authorized by the FOIPP Act. If you have any questions about our collection or use of personal information, please direct your inquiries to the Manager, Health Information Design and Delivery, Suite 220, 9440 202 Street, Langley, British Columbia, V1M 4A6, (604) 215-8107.
- The British Columbia Medical Services Plan insures medically required services provided by physicians and some services provided by other health care practitioners, laboratory services and diagnostic procedures. Health information available on the website is presented for informational purposes and may not be a benefit under the Medical Services Plan. For further information on Medical Services Plan benefits for BC residents, please see http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/benefits
The disclaimers and statements that appear below are specific to the www.HealthLinkBC.ca website.
- The health information provided on the www.HealthLinkBC.ca website is only a guide; your common sense and good judgment are also needed. If you receive professional advice in conflict with information here, follow the advice of your doctor or health professional as he/she is able to take your specific history and needs into consideration.
- The B.C. Ministry of Health does not endorse or recommend any commercial products, processes or services. The views and opinions of the authors of the Healthwise® Knowledgebase do not necessarily state or reflect those of the B.C. Ministry of Health, and they may not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
- Some pages may provide links to other Internet sites only for the convenience of World Wide Web users. The B.C. Ministry of Health is not responsible for the availability or content of those external sites, nor does the Ministry endorse, warrant or guarantee products, services or information offered on these other Internet sites.
- To provide reliable and continuously updated health information, the Ministry selected Healthwise, Incorporated as a supplier for the HealthLink BC website based on its strong track record in other jurisdictions over the past 30 years. Healthwise is a U.S. 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, a designation for organizations of an educational, scientific, or charitable nature, without shareholders and with a volunteer board of directors. The Healthwise Knowledgebase contains in-depth and up-to-date information on thousands of health problems, medical tests, procedures, support groups, and drug therapies. It is created through a proprietary content development process that seeks out the best evidence-based information on every medical issue. An in-house team of physicians, nurses, medical writers and researchers works directly with experts in every medical specialty to fine-tune the accuracy and currency of each topic. The Healthwise Knowledgebase is the foundation of the www.HealthLinkBC.ca website.
- The Ministry of Health continues to work closely with Healthwise and health professionals in British Columbia to customize the Healthwise Knowledgebase for easy access and use by residents. The Healthwise Knowledgebase has been reviewed and revised by Healthwise in consultation with a Canadian team of experts for a Canadian audience. B.C.-specific information is also being added as links from selected Healthwise topics. Due to the vast quantities of valuable information contained within the Knowledgebase including material that is written by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD), it is not possible to modify all content to reflect all Canadian health care conventions, schedules, practices, and so on.
- Given the quantity of information contained in the Healthwise Knowledgebase, it has also not been possible to modify all its content to reflect Canadian spelling. When conducting a Keyword Search within the Knowledgebase, please keep in mind that the search engine may only recognize the American spelling of medical words or terms.
- Please refer to the "Helpful Hints" section of this website for more information.