This resource provides examples of meals for babies who are 6 to 12 months old. Your baby may eat more or less than the amounts shown. Let your baby decide how much to eat, and never force your baby to eat.
Babies know when they are hungry and when they are full. Look for signs of hunger and fullness.
- A baby who is hungry may open her mouth for food and may get upset if you take the food away.
- A baby who is full may close her mouth, turn her head away, or push food away.
Sometimes people worry that their baby is not getting enough to eat. If you are offering breast milk, a variety of solid foods, and your baby is growing well, she is likely eating enough. Talk with a registered dietitian if you have questions about your baby's nutrition.
Steps You Can Take
Babies do not need solid foods until they are about 6 months old. Before 6 months, your baby only needs breast milk and a vitamin D supplement.
For babies 6 months and older:
- Keep offering breast milk and a vitamin D supplement.
- Start with small servings such as 5-10 mL (1-2 tsp) and slowly increase the amounts based on your baby's hunger. At first, she may only eat 30-45 mL (2-3 Tbsp) of food all day.
- Examples of portions to offer your baby are:
- 30-45 mL (2-3 tbsp) cooked vegetables, grains, meats or meat alternatives
- 45-75 mL (3 -5 tbsp) soft fruit
- ½ medium egg
- 60-125 mL (¼ - ½ cup) prepared hot or cold cereal
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) shredded cheese or yogurt
- ½ of a piece of toast cut into strips
- Let your baby decide how much to eat of the food you offer.
Sample Meals for Baby: 6-9 months of age
By the time your baby is 9 months old, offer 2 to 3 meals and 1 to 2 snacks a day. As well as breast milk, offer:
Sample Meals for Baby: 9-12 months of age
By the time your baby is 12 months old, offer 3 meals and 1 to 2 snacks a day. As well as breast milk, offer:
Dietitian Services Fact Sheets available by mail (call 8-1-1) or online:
- Finger Foods for Babies 6 - 12 months
- Recipes for Your Baby 6 - 9 Months Old
- Recipes for Your Baby 9 - 12 Months Old
Last updated: August 2014