Wilson's Disease

Wilson's disease is a rare inherited disorder that causes a buildup of copper in the liver and other organs of the body, most often the brain, kidneys, and eyes. It most often occurs in teenagers and young adults.

Wilson's disease can be treated with a diet low in copper and by taking medicine that removes copper from the body. Treatment is usually successful when it begins before serious liver or brain damage has occurred. In some cases of liver damage, the person may need a liver transplant.

Is it an emergency?

If you or someone in your care has chest pains, difficulty breathing, or severe bleeding, it could be a life-threatening emergency. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately.
If you are concerned about a possible poisoning or exposure to a toxic substance, call Poison Control now at 1-800-567-8911.

Thanks to our partners and endorsers: