Breastfeeding: Exercise and Weight Loss
Keep the following in mind as you start an exercise program or try to lose weight while you are breastfeeding.
Being active helps promote weight loss, improves your energy level, and can help you relieve stress. Follow these tips when you start an exercise program while you are breastfeeding:
- Start out slowly. Walking, swimming, and cycling are all good low-impact ways to begin an exercise program. Gradually build up your time and intensity.
- Wear a supportive bra. Not all sports bras offer enough support, so try on a bra before you buy it.
- Eat more calories when you are more active.
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after you exercise.
- To ease breast discomfort, breastfeed or pump right before you exercise.
You may gradually lose weight without trying while breastfeeding. The rate and ease of weight loss varies widely. You may lose about 0.5 kg (1 lb) to 1 kg (2 lb) a week. Some women find that it takes up to a year to lose the weight they gained during pregnancy.
If you wish to lose weight while breastfeeding, both diet and physical activity have a role. Physical activity or exercise is the safest way to lose weight during this time. Moderate calorie restriction (eating less) may be safe for some overweight women, but breastfeeding women should generally eat more calories. Extreme weight-loss diets should be avoided while breastfeeding. For more information, see the topic Nutrition While Breastfeeding.
Talk to a nutritional counsellor, registered dietitian, or your doctor about a safe and healthy diet.
Other Places To Get Help
Primary Medical Reviewer Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine
Thomas M. Bailey, MD - Family Medicine
Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Kirtly Jones, MD - Obstetrics and Gynecology
Current as ofMarch 16, 2017
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.