Advantages of eyeglasses
- Most adults, children, and infants can wear glasses.
- Glasses provide accurate and predictable vision correction. Eyeglasses reliably correct your vision to within 0.50 dioptre of the desired correction.
- Glasses are less expensive than contact lenses or surgery. They are easier to take care of than contact lenses.
- Glasses are unlikely to cause side effects, because they never touch the eyeball itself.
- Glasses are available everywhere and can be changed easily as your vision changes.
- Glasses can protect your eyes from injury (such as something getting in your eye).
Disadvantages of eyeglasses
- In some types of work (such as firefighting) or in active sports, eyeglasses may be unacceptable (although some athletes may wear prescription goggles during sporting events).
- Some people find glasses inconvenient, uncomfortable, annoying (they tend to fog up in humid or cold environments, for example), or unattractive.
- Eyeglasses can be broken or lost.
Current as ofJuly 17, 2018
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine
Christopher J. Rudnisky, MD, MPH, FRCSC - Ophthalmology