Content Map Terms
British Columbia Specific Information
Hepatitis B is a virus that attacks the liver. It can cause serious disease, including permanent liver damage (cirrhosis), and is also the main cause of liver cancer.
The hepatitis B vaccine provides immunity for at least 10 years and likely for a lifetime when completing the full series. There are currently no recommendations for a healthy person to receive a booster for this vaccine if they have completed the full series.
For more information on hepatitis B and the hepatitis B vaccine, see:
- HealthLinkBC File #40d Living Well with Hepatitis B Virus Infection
- HealthLinkBC File #25a Hepatitis B Vaccine
- HealthLinkBC File #25b Hepatitis B Immune Globulin
- HealthLinkBC File #25c Hepatitis B Infant Vaccine
- HealthLinkBC File #25d Protecting Your Baby against Hepatitis B at Birth
- Immunize BC – Hepatitis B
You may also call 8-1-1 to speak to a registered nurse or pharmacist. Our nurses are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; and our pharmacists are available every night from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Adaptation Date: 4/28/2022
Adapted By: HealthLink BC
Adaptation Reviewed By: HealthLink BC