Content Map Terms
Prenatal classes can help you and your partner plan for what you can expect - physically and emotionally - during childbirth and the early days of parenting.
The classes, available for a fee, are led by a facilitator, a public health nurse or a trained childbirth educator. The topics covered typically include:Women and their partners who attend prenatal classes usually have healthier pregnancies and healthier babies.
- fetal growth and development
- healthy eating and nutrition during pregnancy
- pregnancy changes and coping strategies
- preterm labour or low birth weight babies
- physical activity during pregnancy and after birth
- labour and delivery support, including relaxation techniques and variations in labour
- parenting supports and resources available to new parents
- breastfeeding, infant safety, self care and baby care
To find out where a prenatal class is taking place in your community or if funding is available for low-income expectant parents, call your local public health office.