Content Map Terms

Making Sure Your Will Includes Your Baby


mother and newborn baby sleeping



Do you and your partner have valid legal wills? If not, this is a good time to think about who will care for your child if you’re not able to.

If either or both of you die, you want to ensure your child is raised by someone you trust. Decide who will be the best caregiver for your child, then ask for that person's permission to be named as your child's guardian.

If the person you've selected agrees, you can either create a will or change your current will. For more information, see this list of common questions about wills in British Columbia. It's also a good idea to consult a legal representative such as a lawyer or notary.

Last Updated: August 8, 2013