Content Map Terms
We make so many excuses to avoid physical activity. But the fact is, everyone can fit in some form of physical activity!
Here are some of the most common barriers to physical activity, with suggestions for overcoming them.
I don't like to sweat or feel hot during exercise
- Choose a fun, low impact or moderate intensity activity. Try dancing or rollerblading. If you do something you really enjoy, you may discover a little perspiration isn't so bad after all!
- Look for everyday physical activities. Gardening, walking during your lunch hour or taking the stairs are all simple ways to fit physical activity into your daily routine
I'm too tired to exercise
- Physical activity actually increases your energy!
- If you are a morning person, do something active as soon as you wake up
- Or, at the end of the day unwind and rejuvenate with a power walk, jog or yoga class
I'm too busy
- No matter how busy we are, we can all fit physical activity into our day
- Bypass the elevator and take the stairs, park several blocks from the office and walk to work, or do some crazy dancing with your kids
- Make time for physical activity – your body will thank you for it!
I don't know what I want to do
- If you don't know where to start, then the sky's the limit!
- Check your local community listings for parks, clubs, rinks, fitness centres and leisure activities
- Borrow instructional fitness books and videos from the library
- Speak with a fitness expert. Qualified exercise professionals with Physical Activity Services can help you tailor a program to your level and ability
I don't want to exercise alone
- Ask a friend or family member to be your fitness partner
- Join a yoga, dance, spin or T'ai Chi class
- Check out dragon boating, rowing, running or walking groups
- Becoming physically active is a great way to develop new social networks and friendships