What is immunotherapy?
Immunotherapy helps treat cancer by supporting the body's immune system. This type of treatment can restore, boost, or redirect the immune system.
What types of immunotherapy are used?
The types include:
- Medicines, such as checkpoint inhibitors, cytokines, and monoclonal antibodies.
- Immune cell therapies, such as CAR T-cell therapy.
Immunotherapy also includes treatment vaccines. They are still being studied in Canada.
What are some questions to ask about immunotherapy for cancer?
Some types of immunotherapy have been studied or used longer than other types. You may want to ask your doctor:
- How long has this type of immunotherapy been used to treat cancer like mine?
- How will this treatment help me?
- What happens during the treatment? How long will it take? How often and where do I get it?
- What are the side effects?
Current as of: April 29, 2020
Author: Healthwise Staff
Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine