Content Map Terms

Supportive Housing for BC Seniors


a condomium or apartment seniors housing complex



Some older adults need help to live in their own homes. Others will need a higher level of care. Residences and facilities may help with services from personal care to 24-hour professional care and supervision.

There are housing resources for seniors who need help living independently, and those who require a higher level of care.

  • Seniors’ Supportive Housing provides modified rental homes for low-income seniors and people with disabilities who need assistance to live on their own. Support services include 24-hour response, light housekeeping, meals, and social and recreational activities.
  • Assisted Living homes include services and personal care for adults who can live independently and make decisions but need a supportive environment due to their health. Assisted living may range from a unit in an apartment complex to a private home. Units can vary from one room to self-contained apartments.
  • Long-Term Residential Care facilities provide 24-hour professional supervision and care in a supportive setting for people who have complex care needs and can no longer be cared for in their own homes or in assisted living.

Did You Know?
The Office of the Seniors Advocate provides information for housing options in local areas. Call toll-free 1-877-952-3181, in Victoria: 250-952-3181 (Monday to Friday, 8:30 am-4:30 pm)

Last Updated: October 2, 2015