Flooding and Your Health

Flooding can affect your health and safety in a number of ways. You may be required to evacuate if flooding is close to your home.

If you have been ordered to evacuate your home due to flooding or another hazard, you should register with Emergency Support Services (ESS) whether you need the support or not. This will help ensure that your loved ones and communities know where you are and know that you’re safe. Self-register online at ess.gov.bc.ca. If you require assistance with self-registration you can ask for help by calling the Emergency Support Services Info Line: 1-800-585-9559. In addition, please ensure to:

  • Follow any guidance provided by local public health officials
  • Follow Emergency Management British Columbia's general Emergency Evacuee Guidance During COVID-19
  • If you must register at a reception site in person, it is imperative that you maintain appropriate physical distance. If you have a mask or face covering, wearing it will provide more protection to others.
  • Remain updated on current flooding information: EmergencyInfoBC's Current Flooding Information.

Learn what you can do before an emergency or disaster such as flooding, and what you can to do stay safe and healthy during and after a flooding event in your area by using the Government of BC: Flooding Preparedness Guide.

Food Safety

For information about safe handling of food during an emergency, click on the links below.

Infants and young children are especially vulnerable in an emergency.

Breastfeeding is the safest way to feed your baby. Offer the breast often, for nutrition and comfort.

  • Breastfeeding (HealthLinkBC File #70)
  • You can find more information on how to safely breastfeed your baby and/or young child during COVID-19 here

Babies who are formula-fed are at highest risk during an emergency. It can be difficult to safely prepare infant formula if you do not have clean water or electricity. Check local water quality advisories before using water to mix with formula or to clean and disinfect feeding equipment. Follow any guidance provided by local public health officials. If you don't know if your water is safe, use ready-to-feed infant formula.

You can find more information on how to safely feed your baby during COVID-19 if you are using or thinking about using infant formula here

If you have any concerns around infant formula or need advice on acceptable short-term alternatives, contact your local public health office or call 8-1-1 to speak with a nurse or dietitian at HealthLink BC.

Emergency Preparedness

During flooding roads may be closed, you may be cut off from certain supplies and services, or your community may be evacuated. Learn what you can do to prepare for an emergency and stay safe in advance of a potential evacuation alert or order.

Flooding and Water Quality

For the most recent information on flooding, please see the EmergencyInfoBC's Current Flooding Information.

For information about flooding and water quality from your health authority, where available, click on the links below.

Evacuation Information

If there is flooding in or near your community, you may be evacuated to a safer area. There are a number of resources and supports available to evacuees. Learn what to do if you are evacuated from your home and how to find support in your area.

Seniors may need special support in the event of an evacuation. Learn what you can do to be prepared.

Evacuation and COVID-19

If you have been ordered to evacuate your home due to flooding or another hazard, it's important to use COVID-19 prevention practices as much as possible. Ways to stay safe include:

  • Maintaining a safe physical distance from others (6 feet or 2 meters)
  • Washing your hands regularly or using hand sanitizer
  • Coughing and sneezing into your elbow or sleeve
  • Wear a mask in indoor, confined, or crowded spaces

Take precautions to avoid contact with others if you have received an evacuation order and have any of the following:

  • You have been diagnosed with COVID-19, or
  • You have cold-like, flu-like or COVID-19 symptoms, no matter how mild, or
  • You are self-isolating after international travel or possible exposure to COVID-19

Anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 can assess whether they need to be tested using the COVID-19 Self- Assessment Tool. If you need a test and have been evacuated out of your home community, find the COVID-19 Collection Centre nearest to you. Visit BC Centre for Disease Control's Testing information page for information and to find a centre.

Health Care for Evacuees

For non-emergency health information or advice, call 8-1-1 to speak with a health services navigator who can help you find the information you are looking for or connect you with a registered nurse, registered dietitian, qualified exercise professional, or a pharmacist.

Prescription Medications
If you have been displaced by an evacuation, you can visit a pharmacy near you to access an emergency supply of medications you may need. For more information, visit College of Pharmacists of British Columbia - Accessing Medications During an Emergency.

Walk-in Clinics
To find a walk-in clinic in your area, search the FIND Services and Resources Directory or call 8-1-1 to speak with a health services navigator any time of the day, every day of the year.

Dealing with Stress and Trauma

Disasters, such as floods, can impact your emotional health as much as your physical health. Learn what you can do to recognize signs of stress or trauma in yourself and your family.

Returning Home

When your local or First Nations government has declared it is safe for you to return home, there are steps you can take to make the transition easier and safer.

Last updated: November 17, 2021

Is it an emergency?

If you or someone in your care has chest pains, difficulty breathing, or severe bleeding, it could be a life-threatening emergency. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately.
If you are concerned about a possible poisoning or exposure to a toxic substance, call Poison Control now at 1-800-567-8911.

Thanks to our partners and endorsers: