The following tools and resources have been chosen to help you find healthy eating information to prevent and manage heart disease.
These tools and resources are believed to be reliable and accurate at the time of publication. They should not be considered an endorsement of any information, service, product or company.
The recipes in the resources below are generally higher in fibre, and lower in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. They are recommended for recipes and flavouring ideas, not as replacements for your diet guidelines.
- The New American Heart Association Cookbook. American Heart Association, 2012.
- Lighthearted at Home: The Very Best of Anne Lindsay. Anne Lindsay, 2010.
- The New Lighthearted Cookbook: Recipes for Heart Healthy Cooking. Anne Lindsay, 2005.
- The Best of Heart Smart Cooking. Bonnie Stern, 2006.
Website Recipe Collections
- Dietitians of Canada Cookspiration.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation, Recipes.
- Mayo Clinic, Healthy Recipes.
The tools below help you to assess, monitor and track your progress towards your heart healthy eating and healthy weight goals.
- Dietitians of Canada is the national professional association for Registered Dietitians in Canada. Under the Your Health section you will find:
- Assess Yourself: This section helps you assess your current eating habits.
- Plan, Shop, Cook: This section provides information, tips and recipes for a healthy and delicious diet.
- Nutrition A-Z: This section provides science-based fact sheets on a variety of nutrition topics from antioxidants to zinc.
- eaTracker: This website can analyze recipes, help you plan your meals and track your activity. Use it to set eating and activity goals, and track your progress toward meeting those goals.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation:
- My Healthy Weight Action Plan™: This free, 12-week web-based program can help you achieve and maintain a healthy body weight.
- <30 Days: This free app helps you to identify and overcome unhealthy habits and adopt a healthier lifestyle in 30 days or less. It provides you with simple, daily challenges and gives you helpful reminders and support to reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke. Available on iTunes and Google Play.
- My Heart & Stroke Risk Assessment: This risk assessment tool helps you find out what is putting you at risk for heart disease and stroke.
- Healthy Canadians: This website gives you access to reliable information about health and nutrition for preventing and managing a variety of health conditions.
- The Heart Disease - Heart Health page provides information on a heart disease risks and links to healthy diet information and other useful resources.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation: This website includes information and tools to help you manage and prevent heart disease and stroke.
- HealthLinkBC File #68a Heart Healthy Eating
- HealthLinkBC File #68f Dietary Fats and Your Health
- Dietitian Services Fact Sheets available by mail (call 8-1-1) or online:
Last updated: January 2014