Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Symptoms
The most common symptoms of all forms of juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) include:
- Joint pain and swelling that may come and go but are most often persistent. Symptoms must last for 6 weeks before a diagnosis of JIA can be made.
- Joint stiffness that lasts longer than 1 hour in the morning.
- Irritability, refusal to walk, or protection or guarding of a joint. You might notice your child limping or avoiding the use of a certain joint.
- Often unpredictable changes in symptoms, from periods with no symptoms (remission) to flare-ups.
Additional symptoms vary depending on which type of JIA a child has:
|Effects of disease||Joints affected||Eye disease (chronic uveitis)||Other possible features|
|Oligoarticular JIA (persistent or extended)|| || |
|Polyarticular JIA, RF-negative|| || |
|Polyarticular JIA, RF-positive|| || |
|Systemic JIA|| || |
|Enthesitis-related JIA|| || |
|Psoriatic JIA|| || |
Other Works Consulted
- Hashkes PJ, Laxer RM (2005). Medical treatment of juvenile ideopathic arthritis. JAMA, 294(13): 1671-1684.
- Hsu JJ, et al. (2013). Treatment of juvenile idiopathic arthritis. In GS Firestein et al., eds., Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, 9th ed., vol. 2, pp. 1752-1770. Philadelphia: Saunders.
Primary Medical Reviewer Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics
Brian D. O'Brien, MD - Internal Medicine
E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Martin J. Gabica, MD - Family Medicine
Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
Current as ofOctober 31, 2016
Current as of: October 31, 2016
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics & Brian D. O'Brien, MD - Internal Medicine & E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine & Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine & Martin J. Gabica, MD - Family Medicine & Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine & John Pope, MD - Pediatrics
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.