Dr. Dennis L. Stevens reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Stevens is Chief of Infectious Diseases at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Boise, Idaho. Dr. Stevens is a world-renowned expert in the field of infectious disease. He is widely published and an active speaker.
Dr. Stevens is a consultant to the Centers for Disease Control on severe invasive Group A streptococcal infections. He has received the Infectious Disease Society of America's "Society Citation Award" for his work with bacterial pathogens.
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Subspecialty in Infectious Diseases
- MD: University of Utah College of Medicine, 1971
- Internship: Department of Medicine, University of Utah Medical Center, 1971–1972
- Residency: Department of Medicine, University of Utah Medical Center, 1972–1974
- Fellowship: Infectious Disease Service, Department of Medicine, Brooke Army Medical Center, 1977–1979
- Professor of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, 1992–present
- American College of Physicians (Fellow)
- Association of American Physicians
- Infectious Disease Society of America (Fellow)
- Stevens DL, Wallace RJ, Hamilton SM, Brayant AE (2006). Successful treatment of staphylococcal toxic shock syndrome with linezolid: Case report and in vitro evaluation of TSST-1 production in the presence of antibiotics. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 42(5): 729–730.
- Bryant AE, Bayer CR, Huntington JD, Stevens DL (2006). Group A streptococcal myonecrosis: Increased vimentin expression following skeletal muscle injury mediates the binding of S. pyogenes. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 193(12): 1685–1692.
- Nguygen HB, Rivers EP, Abrahamian FM, Moran GJ, Abraham E, Trzeciak S, Huang DT, Osborn T, Stevens D, Talan DA, ED-SEPSIS Working Group (2006). Severe sepsis and septic shock: Review of the literature and emergency department management guidelines. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 48(1): 28–54.
- Aldape MJ, Bryant AE, Stevens DL (2006). Clostridium sordellii infections: Epidemiology, clinical findings and current perspectives on diagnosis and treatment. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 43(11): 1436–1446.
- Stevens DL, Ma Y, Salmi DB, McIndoo E, Wallace RJ, Bryant AE (2007). Impact of sub-inhibitory concentrations of antibiotics on expression of virulence-associated exotoxin genes in methicillin-sensitive and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 195(2): 202-211.
Author: Healthwise Staff