Tapeworm

A tapeworm is a parasite that attaches to the walls of the intestine after it enters a person's digestive tract. A person may become infected with tapeworms after eating raw or undercooked meat or fish that contains the worms.

A tapeworm infection may not cause any symptoms. If symptoms are present, they may include diarrhea, pain in the upper abdomen, weight loss, or seizures.

Medicine is needed to get rid of a tapeworm infection. Infection can be prevented by thoroughly freezing or cooking meat and fish.

Is it an emergency?

If you or someone in your care has chest pains, difficulty breathing, or severe bleeding, it could be a life-threatening emergency. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately.
If you are concerned about a possible poisoning or exposure to a toxic substance, call Poison Control now at 1-800-567-8911.

Thanks to our partners and endorsers: