Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac

Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants that have a sticky oil that can cause an itchy, red rash. The rash often shows up in lines or streaks along with blisters or large raised areas (hives). In some people, it causes serious symptoms such as swelling and widespread, large, oozing blisters.

Home treatment will often relieve mild symptoms. Prescription medicine may be needed for severe reactions.

Is it an emergency?

If you or someone in your care has chest pains, difficulty breathing, or severe bleeding, it could be a life-threatening emergency. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately.
If you are concerned about a possible poisoning or exposure to a toxic substance, call Poison Control now at 1-800-567-8911.

Thanks to our partners and endorsers: