Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome

Neuroleptic malignant syndrome is a life-threatening reaction that may occur as a result of taking certain antipsychotic medicines. The exact cause of this syndrome is not known. But it may occur when the medicine causes a malfunction in the system that regulates the body's temperature.

The first signs of neuroleptic malignant syndrome include high fever and changes in a person's heart and breathing patterns. People who take antipsychotic medicines and develop these symptoms need to be seen immediately by a doctor.

Is it an emergency?

If you or someone in your care has chest pains, difficulty breathing, or severe bleeding, it could be a life-threatening emergency. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately.
If you are concerned about a possible poisoning or exposure to a toxic substance, call Poison Control now at 1-800-567-8911.

Thanks to our partners and endorsers: