Neil R. Powe, MD, MPH - Internal Medicine
Dr. Neil R. Powe reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Powe is Chief of Medicine at San Francisco General Hospital and a Constance B. Wofsy Distinguished Professor of Medicine at the University of California San Francisco in San Francisco, California.
Education and Training
MPH: Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, 1980
MD: Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1981
Internship and Residency: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1981–1984
Fellowship in General Internal Medicine: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, PA, 1984–1986
University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- Constance B. Wofsy Distinguished Professor of Medicine, 2009–present
- Vice Chair of Medicine, 2009–present
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- Adjunct Professor of Medicine, 2009–present
- Distinguished University Service Professor, 2003–2008
- Professor of Medicine, 1998–2003
- Associate Professor of Medicine, 1994–1998
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, 1988–1993
- Instructor in Medicine, 1986–1987
Professor of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, 1998–2009
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine, 1987–1991
- Assistant Instructor in Medicine, 1983–1986
The final approval of Healthwise content is always made by a clinician with no financial conflicts.
Dr. Powe serves on the Board of Directors for Parkland Center for Clinical Innovation, the PCORI Methodology Committee, and the Scientific Advisory Board for Vanderbilt University. He also receives grant support from NIDDK and the CDC.
Author: Healthwise Staff