- Don't drink too much alcohol before eating. It may dull your senses, and you might not chew food properly or might try to swallow too large a portion of food.
- Take small bites. Cut meat into small pieces. Chew your food thoroughly.
- Do not give popcorn, nuts, or hard candy to children younger than 4, and supervise older children when they eat these foods. Cut hot dogs and grapes lengthwise.
- Do not give young children small objects that may cause choking, such as marbles or jacks.
- Look for age guidelines when selecting toys for children.
- Do not let your child play with a toy if he or she is younger than the recommended age for the toy.
- The safest toys for small children are at least 3 cm (1.25 in.) around or 6 cm (2.25 in.) in length.
- Keep balloons and plastic bags away from any child who may put them in his or her mouth.
Primary Medical Reviewer William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer David Messenger, MD
Current as ofMay 23, 2014
Current as of: May 23, 2014
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & David Messenger, MD
Public Health Alerts
Public health alerts include information about outbreaks, advisories and product recalls. Click on the links below to read the most recent alerts, or visit our Public Health Alerts web page.
Tell Us About Your Visit
FIND Services and Resources
If you are looking for health services in your community, you can use our directory to FIND hospitals, clinics, and other resources.
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Is it an emergency?
If you or someone in your care has chest pains, difficulty breathing, or severe bleeding, it could be life-threatening. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately. If you are concerned about a possible poisoning or exposure to a toxic substance, call Poison Control now at 1-800-567-8911.