Decision Points About Surgery
Decision Points About Surgery
Decision Points are designed to guide you through key health decisions, combining medical information with your personal information to make a wise health decision. Click on a link below to learn more about surgeries for your condition:
- Achilles Tendon Rupture: Should I Have Surgery?
- ACL Injury: Should I Have Knee Surgery?
- Aortic Valve Stenosis: Should I Have Surgery?
- Arthritis: Should I Have Hip Replacement Surgery?
- Arthritis: Should I Have Knee Replacement Surgery?
- Arthritis: Should I Have Shoulder Replacement Surgery?
- Blocked Tear Ducts: Should My Baby Have a Probing Procedure?
- Blood Transfusions: Should I Bank Blood Before Surgery?
- Breast Cancer: Should I Have Breast-Conserving Surgery or a Mastectomy for Early-Stage Cancer?
- Breast Cancer: Should I Have Breast Reconstruction After a Mastectomy?
- Bunions: Should I Have Surgery?
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Should I Have Surgery?
- Cataracts: Should I Have Surgery?
- Circumcision: Should I Keep My Son's Penis Natural?
- Dupuytren's Disease: Should I Have Hand Surgery?
- Ear Problems: Should My Child Be Treated for Fluid Buildup in the Middle Ear?
- Endometriosis: Should I Have a Hysterectomy and Oophorectomy?
- Enlarged Prostate: Should I Have Surgery?
- Fertility Problems: Should I Have a Tubal Procedure or In Vitro Fertilization?
- Gallstones: Should I Have Gallbladder Surgery?
- GERD: Which Treatment Should I Use?
- Hammer, Claw, or Mallet Toe: Should I Have Surgery?
- Heart Disease: Should I Have Angioplasty for Stable Angina?
- Heart Disease: Should I Have Bypass Surgery?
- Heart Valve Problems: Should I Choose a Mechanical Valve or Tissue Valve to Replace My Heart Valve?
- Hemorrhoids: Which Treatment Should I Use?
- Hysterectomy: Should I Also Have My Ovaries Removed?
- Infertility: Should I Have Treatment?
- Inguinal Hernia: Should I Have Surgery Now, or Should I Wait?
- Lumbar Herniated Disc: Should I Have Surgery?
- Lumbar Spinal Stenosis: Should I Have Surgery?
- Meniscus Tear: Should I Have Surgery?
- Miscarriage: Should I Have Treatment to Complete a Miscarriage?
- Nearsightedness: Should I Have Laser Surgery?
- Obesity: Should I Have Weight-Loss Surgery?
- Ovarian Cancer: Should I Have My Ovaries Removed to Prevent Ovarian Cancer?
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse: Should I Have Surgery?
- Peripheral Arterial Disease: Should I Have Surgery?
- Plantar Fasciitis: Should I Have Surgery for Heel Pain?
- Prostate Cancer: Should I Have Radiation or Surgery for Localized Prostate Cancer?
- Rotator Cuff Problems: Should I Have Surgery?
- Scoliosis: Should I (or My Child) Have Surgery?
- Sinusitis: Should I Have Surgery?
- Sleep Apnea: Should I Have Surgery?
- Stress Incontinence: Should I Have Surgery?
- Stroke: Should I Have Carotid Endarterectomy?
- Tennis Elbow: Should I Have Surgery?
- TM Disorder: Should I Have Surgery for Jaw Pain?
- Tonsillitis: Should My Child Have a Tonsillectomy?
- Ulcerative Colitis: Should I Have Surgery?
- Umbilical Hernia: Should I Have Surgery?
- Umbilical Hernia: Should My Child Have Surgery?
- Uterine Fibroids: Should I Have Surgery?
- Varicose Veins: Should I Have a Surgical Procedure?
- Warts: Should I Treat Warts?
- Wisdom Teeth: Should I Have My Wisdom Teeth Removed?
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine|
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Brian D. O'Brien, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Current as of||August 22, 2013|
Public Health Alerts
Public health alerts include information about outbreaks, advisories and product recalls. Click on the links below to read the most recent alerts, or visit our Public Health Alerts web page.
FIND Services and Resources
If you are looking for health services in your community, you can use our directory to FIND hospitals, clinics, and other resources.
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Is it an emergency?
If you or someone in your care has chest pains, difficulty breathing, or severe bleeding, it could be life-threatening. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number immediately. If you are concerned about a possible poisoning or exposure to a toxic substance, call Poison Control now at 1-800-567-8911.